The Technical Secretariat of the OPCW will organise a seminar on the Chemical Weapons Convention and chemical safety and security management, to be held in Zagreb, Croatia, from 7 to 9 December 2021. The seminar is intended for Member States of the OPCW in the Eastern Europe region and is open to National Authorities and senior government representatives responsible for chemical safety and security management, representatives from chemical industry associations, and managers involved in chemical industry safety and security and Responsible Care®.
The aims of the course are to:
- Improve national frameworks for chemical safety and security management;
- Facilitate oversight of high-risk chemical facilities;
- Promote international cooperation programmes that focus on the implementation of chemical safety and security management, with a view of implementing Article XI of the Convention;
- Raise awareness of the importance of chemical safety and security policy and guidelines, so as to prevent chemical accidents and the potential misuse of toxic chemicals in Eastern European countries.
The seminar will allow ample time for question-and-answer sessions and will include theoretical and practical components. During the seminar, participants will be provided with updated information on, inter alia, current practices and concepts relating to safety and security management, modern safety and security strategies, current models for chemical safety and security policies, current trends in safety and security management strategies, chemical site security management, and safety and security culture. The best practices from the chemical industry will also be presented. Leading experts in chemical safety and security management will give presentations and facilitate the discussions.
The following issues will be discussed:
- existing national frameworks for chemical safety and security management;
- best practices of the local chemical industry and chemical industry associations;
- the safe handling of chemicals at the regional and international levels;
- chemical process safety and security guidelines; and
- models for risk assessment, safety management, and emergency management for industrial incidents.
- Note by the Technical Secretariat: Call for Nominations for a Seminar on the Chemical Weapons Convention and Chemical Safety and Security Management for Member States of the OCPW in Eastern Europe, Zagreb, Croatia, 7-9 December 2021