The Sudanese National Authority for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons and the Technical Secretariat of the OPCW are hosting a virtual training course for Member States in the IGAD region to strengthen their capacity in responding to incidents involving Chemical Warfare Agents and Toxic Industrial Chemicals.
This capacity-building initiative falls within the framework of Article X of the Chemical Weapons Convention and is designed for both civilian and military first responders who are involved in CBRN Emergency preparedness or in responding to emergencies involving release of Chemical Warfare Agents and Toxic Industrial Chemicals (this includes: Civil Defence, Fire / rescue department, Police, Military CBRN Units, HAZMAT teams, medical responders, etc.).
At the end of this Online Basic course, the participants will be able to:
- Define the types and toxic effects of Chemical Warfare Agents and Toxic Industrial Chemicals, sign and symptoms of exposure
- Describe principles of response to emergencies related to chemical agents, and corresponding operating procedures
- Describe the concepts of protection against CWAs, use of Individual Protection Equipment, Donning and Doffing
- Explain the principles of detection of Chemical Warfare Agents, detection methods and use of various detection equipment
- Describe principles of decontamination, decontamination equipment/materials