- to raise awareness of the importance of chemical safety and security policy and guidelines, so as to prevent chemical accidents and the potential misuse of toxic chemicals in African countries;
- to improve national frameworks for chemical safety and security management;
- to facilitate oversight of high risk chemical facilities;
- to sensitise States Parties to new approaches in chemical law that can be adopted in relation to chemical safety and security management, with a particular focus on national policy and legal frameworks;
- and to promote international cooperation programmes that focus on the implementation of chemical safety and security management, with a view to implementing Article XI of the Convention.
The seminar will benefit policy makers, chemical industry personnel who are involved in safety and security management issues, National Authorities, and chemical industry associations in Member States of the OPCW in the Africa region, and will indirectly benefit the general public as a whole.
- Note by the Technical Secretariat: Call for Nominations for a Seminar on the Chemical Weapons Convention and Chemical Safety and Security Management for Member States of the OPCW in the Africa Region, Algiers, Algeria, 23-25 June 2019
- Chemical Safety and Security Management Programme
- The Africa Programme