The Federal Government of Germany, the University of Wuppertal, and the Technical Secretariat of the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) wish to inform OPCW Member States about two parallel courses on loss prevention and safety promotion in the chemical process industries: one for Member States in Africa and the other for Member States in Asia and Latin America and the Caribbean.
- The course offered for Member States in Africa will accommodate 12 participants. The course offered for Member States in Asia and in Latin America and the Caribbean will also accommodate 12 participants (six from each region).
- The courses are intended for participants with a background in chemistry, chemical engineering, or the chemical industry who are currently working at a chemical or manufacturing industrial facility or who, because of their involvement in the implementation of the Chemical Weapons Convention (“CWC”), are called upon to interact with the chemical industry at various levels (for example in relation to formulating, analysing, or implementing chemical safety policies in their home countries).
- Briefing on the CWC, particularly those provisions related to how it is implemented in terms of the chemical industry.
- Discussions on the relevant legislation, risks (both operational and environmental), fire, explosive, and toxic hazards, and hazard assessment. Further discussions will take place on process control engineering, handling of protection devices, and safety management.
- Visits to industries and practical exercises in a laboratory and at the University of Wuppertal mini-plant, which has been specially built for the courses.
- Note by the Technical Secretariat: Invitation to Apply for two Parallel Courses: Wuppertal Annual Course on Loss Prevention and Safety Promotion in the Chemical Process Industries Wuppertal, Germany, 21-25 September 2020