This seminar supports chemical safety and security management in the chemical industry in Asian countries. By promoting and disseminating standardised and best practices in chemical safety, the seminar will benefit chemical industry personnel who are involved in safety and security management issues, enhance the capacities of National Authorities and chemical industry associations in Member States of the OPCW in the Asia region, and indirectly benefit the general public as a whole.
- to sensitise States Parties to the new approaches that can be adopted in relation to chemical safety and security management, specifically in relation to small and medium-sized enterprises;
- contribute to the sharing of information and the exchange of experiences on the practical implementation of chemical safety and security management programmes;
- review best practices in regard to the safety and security management of chemicals and generate, through interactions and discussions, recommendations on the structure for future standardised seminars to promote these practices in small and medium-sized enterprises in Asian countries;
- foster wider cooperation between States Parties on issues related to the chemical industry in order that the objectives of Article XI of the Convention (promoting the peaceful uses of chemistry) can be achieved; and
- enhance and promote the safe handling of chemicals at the national level.