Libya Completes Destruction of Its Category 1 Chemical Weapons

Tuesday, 04 February 2014

Director-General Ahmet Üzümcü (Left) meeting with the Libyan Foreign Minister, Mr Mohamed Abdulaziz.

TRIPOLI – At a joint press conference in the Libyan capital today, Libya’s Foreign Minister, Mr Mohamed Abdulaziz, announced that as of 26 January 2014 Libya has destroyed the remaining mustard gas filled in artillery projectiles and aerial bombs. Libya had previously completed last year the disposal of bulk mustard. 

The announcement followed a visit to the site in south-eastern Libya where the destruction operations took place by OPCW Director-General Ahmet Üzümcü and representatives of Germany and the United States, whose governments provided Libya aid to eliminate its stockpile. 

"The destruction of these munitions was a major undertaking in arduous, technically challenging circumstances, as we saw first-hand earlier today at the remote Ruwagha Chemical Weapon Destruction Facility,” the Director-General said. “From start to finish, meeting these challenges was the product of close cooperation between Libya, the OPCW Technical Secretariat and other States Parties."

Related: Interview with the Director-General on Libya

States Parties to the Chemical Weapons Convention (CWC) are obligated to declare and destroy all chemical weapons and related materials they may possess, under the verification of the OPCW. 

On joining the CWC in January 2004, Libya declared to the OPCW possession of nearly 25 metric tonnes of bulk sulfur mustard agent; several thousand unloaded aerial munitions designed for use with chemical warfare agents; and several chemical weapons production facilities. The declared aerial munitions were immediately destroyed in March 2004, and in the ensuing years the production facilities were either destroyed or converted to peaceful purposes under the OPCW’s approval and verification.

Operations to destroy the bulk sulfur mustard agent began in October 2010 but were suspended in February 2011 when the destruction facility malfunctioned. Following the conclusion of Libya’s civil conflict, the new Government declared a newly discovered amount of munitions loaded with sulfur mustard that had not been acknowledged in Libya’s original declaration. 

Germany, Canada and the United States provided assistance to the new government to resume destruction operations at Ruwagha in early 2013. Preparations for the destruction of chemical precursors, which are Category 2 chemicals, are planned to start later and their destruction is to be completed by December 2016.

At today’s press conference, the Libyan Foreign Minister and OPCW Director-General were joined by the U.S. Assistant Secretary of Defense for Nuclear, Chemical and Biological Defense Programs, the Honorable Andrew C. Weber; the U.S. Ambassador to Libya, H.E. Deborah Jones; the German Ambassador to the OPCW,  H.E. Eberhard Schanze; and Canada’s Chargé d’affaires in Tripoli, Mr Denis Thibault. 

For more details on Libya, see Libya: Facts and Figures


Categories: Africa, Director-General

For further information, please contact OPCW Public Affairs. +31 (0) 70 416 3242, public.affairs@opcw.org | ORGANISATION FOR THE PROHIBITION OF CHEMICAL WEAPONS, Johan de Wittlaan 32, 2517 JR The Hague, The Netherlands

Follow OPCW on Facebook and Twitter.

More news

OPCW Director-General Welcomes UN Security Council Resolution and OPCW Executive Council Decision; Pledges to Facilitate Verifiable Destruction of Libya’s Remaining Chemical Weapons

On 20 July, the Executive Council of the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) adopted a decision calling for necessary international assistance in response to the Libyan Government of National Accord’s...22 July 2016Full story

To Prevent Destruction of Humankind, Science and Diplomacy Must Work Together, Says OPCW Director-General

“At every stage along the long road to ridding the world of chemical weapons, scientists have been an indispensable partner of the OPCW”, said Ambassador Ahmet Üzümcü, Director-General of the Organisation for the Prohibition of...22 July 2016Full story

Scientists Are at the Frontline of Peace, Says OPCW Verification Director

“Under OPCW auspices, scientists are taking the lead in promoting science working in the service of peace and security,” said Mr Philippe Denier, Director of Verification Division of the Organisation for the Prohibition of...19 July 2016Full story

Police First Responders from Asia Get Ready to Confront Chemical Terrorism Emergencies

Use of protective equipment and operational procedures dealing with chemical terrorism incidents was at the core of an advanced training course for police first responders from Asia, held by the Organisation for the Prohibition...12 July 2016Full story

H.E. Mr Roberto Ochoa Madrid (Honduras)

H.E. Mr Roberto Ochoa Madrid, Permanent Representative of the Republic of Honduras to the OPCW, presented his credentials to the Director-General on 7 July 2016.07 July 2016Full story

H.E. Mrs Pema Choden (Bhutan)

H.E. Mrs Pema Choden, Permanent Representative of the Kingdom of Bhutan to the OPCW, presented her credentials to the Director-General on 6 July 2016.06 July 2016Full story

The Minister of Foreign Affairs of Canada Visits OPCW

The Director-General of the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW), Ambassador Ahmet Üzümcü, met today with the Minister of Foreign Affairs of Canada, the Honourable Stéphane Dion, at OPCW Headquarters in The...05 July 2016Full story

National Authorities and Educators from Africa Partner to Improve Implementation of the Convention

Universities across Africa should incorporate more information about the Chemical Weapons Convention (CWC) into their curricula, concluded representatives of National Authorities and educators during a meeting in Johannesburg,...04 July 2016Full story

The State Secretary for Foreign Policy of Denmark Visits OPCW

The Director-General of the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW), Ambassador Ahmet Üzümcü, met today with the State Secretary for Foreign Policy of the Kingdom of Denmark, H.E. Ms Lone Dencker Wisborg, at...28 June 2016Full story

Director-General’s statement on behalf of the OPCW to commemorate the 1987 chemical weapon attack on Sardasht, Iran

Twenty-nine years ago, on 28 June 1987, the peaceful residents of the Iranian township of Sardasht became the victims of a merciless attack involving chemical weapons.  The attack brought death and suffering to countless...28 June 2016Full story

Displaying 1 to 10 of 1657
<< First < Previous 1-10 11-20 21-30 31-40 41-50 51-60 61-70 Next > Last >>